Featured Posts

Restoring a classic Palma rifle: Bringing back the G&E


IMG_0476.JPG

Among other relics that I received from Mac Tilton when I acquired the assets of MT Guns was a Grunig and Elmiger Palma rifle. I do not know the history of the rifle but from the looks of it the rifle had been in many matches since the 1950’s. Upon examining the throat with a bore scope I found that it was eroded quite severely indicating over 6000 rounds had been fired from the old war horse.

IMG_0456.JPG

The outside finish of the barrel was left rough turned.

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

The stock was in need of replacement because of the various cracks and lack of adjustments of its outdated style.

IMG_0453.JPG

The firing pin measured .083 in diameter and the firing pin hole was severely oversize. I bushed the firing pin hole down to .063 and reduced the diameter of the pin to .062 on the surface grinder using a rotary head.

IMG_0462.JPG

A new Bartlein 30 caliber 1-11 twist barrel was installed with a .308 Palma chamber. This chamber works well with the 155 grain bullets but also with the 185 Berger match hybrid.

IMG_0466.JPG

The small and unattractive bolt handle had to go and was replace with a Barnard pear shaped handle.

IMG_0459.JPG

I also received from Mac a Palm stock made by Chris Wilcox of Cherryville, B.C.

The new stock pillar bedded and with the Anschutz recoil lug installed.

IMG_0473.JPG

Next, I installed the MT Guns adjustable butt plate hardware. The adjustable cheek piece was already installed by Wilcox.

IMG_0464.JPG

The old Anschutz sights were worn and had a lot of back lash. They also were mounted at an angle so that the rifle was meant to be held at a cant.

IMG_0458.JPG

The odd thing was that the front sight was mounted straight.

IMG_0471.JPG

A new Riles front sight with 60 minutes of elevation adjustment and a Gehmann adjustable aperture replaced the old setup.

IMG_0461.JPG

For the new RPA sights I had to drill and tap the receiver (which was like drilling and taping a coke bottle) and make a set of picatinny 24 MOA scope blocks that work with sights or scope.

IMG_0452.JPG

The trigger is an older style Anschutz two stage but it had a four pound pull and a lot of creep. I disassembled the trigger and altered a few of the parts to bring it down to a very crisp 5.2 ounces. Due to the two stage design even at this low weight the bolt can be slapped shut without a slam fire.

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

Finally, I Cerakoted the action and trigger guard in graphite black.

All that's needed now is a sling and someone to attach it to.


Recent Posts